Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Funday

Howdy folks - we're glad Sunday Funday has come 'round again. Jesse has managed to roll his way into the semi's (Lebowski shout-out) of our fantasy football league - as have Damian, Lauren's boyfriend Dan's boss Dean, and - to everyone's consternation - Nally. May the best motley crew of hand-picked NFL players and teams win!

And yes, if you were wondering, Plaxico Burress (who shot himself in the leg with his own gun at a nightclub a few weeks ago), was on MY fantasy team.

I am COMPLETELY shocked that my team - HungryHungryHippos/Maude - has put-putted sadly into 8th place in our league. My players did, however, give a stunning performance on their way out last week - 120 points! Ironically, the most my team has gotten all season and one of the highest league scores as well. So, I went out with a bang (no pun intended) and had the satisfaction of crushing Jesse. Once, just once.

We had a decent covering of snow this past Friday (sorry to everyone else who got ice!) and I couldn't help but go out and take some pretty pictures of the winter wonderland scene. My LLBean boots have been serving me well - I've been wearing them in pretty nicely on the tramp back and forth between my finals! 6 Down - one to go! They will ALL BE DONE as of tomorrow at noon - and I will be rejoicing in the streets. Seriously, there may be some jigging and some high-stepping.

Also! I recently visited Food Democracy Now and signed a petition asking President-Elect Obama to appoint a Secretary of Agriculture who would be committed to moving our nation's food and agriculture policy towards more sustainable practices, ie less harmful pesticides, local/regional food, supporting CSA's (community supported agriculture) and small-business farmers.

Lots of Americans (not to mention farmers and consumers around the world) have jumped onto the local/organic/slow food bandwagon - but it shouldn't be a luxury reserved for the few who can afford to farm in safer, healthier ways or to keep up with organic prices at the supermarket. Jesse and I are fortunate enough to be living in a region of Upstate New York that boasts lots of small, family-owned and run farms, markets, stands, orchards, and vineyards. There's a lot going on up here and in other rural and urban settings - hopefully this focus on good quality, healthy, DE-licious food can spread to the rest of the nation!

Can't wait to see a lot of you during this Holiday Season! For those that we'll be missing this year, I refer you to the wise words of Buddy, The Elf:


The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.


(by the way, this advice works for the holiday season in general - not just christmas!)

Lotsa love everyone,
Caitlin


4 comments:

Caitlin Steeves said...

By the way - part of us is already thinking of Spring; does anyone have suggestions on good seed catalogs to get? We're interested mostly in veggies but we love flowers and herbs as well. I think the year's new catalogs come out in late winter, yes?

Unknown said...

Appreciate the Shout Out from 203 H St!

Looks like you're having some nice weather out there.

It's currently 2 below here in Iowa, but feels like -28.
Pretty windy out there.

pass this on if you get the chance:

http://www.fooddemocracynow.org

Jan said...

Today the local paper printed an article by Nicholas Kristof of the NY Times.The headline was we need a secretary of food to reform agriculture. I will be checking out the website you mentioned. As for seeds you could do a google search of what you want. I think Seeds of Change might be one to look at. For some things like tomatoes it is good to buy a started plant and in your area you might have a farmers market that sells organic or heirloom tomatoes. We know a person down here who does tomatoes.Ck out what resources your local Cornell cooperative extension has. There should be a master gardener helpline

Nally said...

i'm guessing you got just about as much snow as we did in Ithaca. We got dump truck loads!! oo Upstate NY--good think i got my big ol clunky snow boots-- <3