
I've finished my first week of class - ! In celebration, I decided to devote all of Friday afternoon/evening to relaxation, i.e. sour patch kids, cafe au lait, movies, live music later tonight!
Here's a little side story especially for Nally: I was so eager to open my lovely little bag of sour patch kids that I ripped it open with too much excitement and vigor . . . the bag burst apart, sour patch kids went flying, and little rainbow-colored, sour-sugared bites of heaven rained down upon me, my computer, my empty tea and coffee cups, the floor. None should be surprised that I picked every last patch up off the floor and - several hours later - I am still wiping sugar crystals off my chest.
The movie that I was revving up to enjoy is called The Shvitz by documentary director Jonathan Berman. The "shvitz" is where you go "take a steam." The film explores some of the last remaining bath houses and their changing role within a changing society; it's neat to see how these bath houses were (and some still are) places of socialization, companionship, a weekly family/community ritual passed down from generation to generation. Lots of the footage was of Brighton Beach, so I got a kick out of seeing Astroland and the Coney Island boardwalk! Anyway, it's about 90min long, very funny, and I ended up wanting take a steam myself, bare-all with other women of every shape and size, cleanse out all the toxins, all the while pick-a-littling about the men folk bathing it out on the floor above :)
3 comments:
your little story made me drool...
damn you and your ability to purchase sour patch kids.
hey - even though its not the steam baths of old, there are saunas at the CAB, right? have you checked them out yet?
There is one sauna right next to the pool - coed I believe.
Post a Comment