Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blueberry Girl

Cait and I want so badly to plant a huge blueberry patch someday. Our Syracuse yard doesn't quite have the acreage that we're looking for. We want a patch, a grove of blueberries, with land to roll about and run on. Maybe we can plant that patch with our daughter someday, somewhere a little closer to you all...

Blueberry Girl - from Neil Gaiman

8 comments:

Jan said...

Beautiful video. Blueberries can be planted as landscape shrubs but I would like it better if you were closer. Yesterday as I was moving some crowded daffodills I was thinking that it would be nice if you were nearby to share them.

renee said...

Plant some blueberies now. Just acidify the soil. You'll get berries maybe even this year. You have to plant two varieties, tho, to get crosspollination

renee said...

great advice. read to yourselves and your little rainbow over and over again. Its more like a prayer.

Caitlin Steeves said...

Renee - I thought it sounded like a prayer too :) One I'd be glad to read over and over . . .

Nally said...

i would like it very much if you were closer, so i could pick blueberries with my little niece <3

renee said...

I should have a pretty nice batch of blueberries here this summer. OK, little niece will be too little for them straight off the bush, but YOU could eat them Caitlin, and then..

Luke and Ellie lived on blueberries as toddlers. Frozen blueberries and other frozen fruit kept their teething gums happy, too. (I did slice choke sized pieces into smaller sizes.)they loved them. And when they were about 5 or 6 I took them hiking at Ice Caves Mountain (Sam's Point, near Ellenville) It was a long hike, but grazing on the wild low bush blueberries maintained a level blood sugar, it seemed, and we had a great, uncranky time.

Caitlin Steeves said...

Well, we quickly broke down and ordered this book from Amazon - it is on its way!

Jesse said...

And the first reading was beautiful -- the book is even better...Baby's first picture book ;-)