Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hello 2011!!!! (Christmas 2010 Part 1)

Welcome to the New Year everyone.  2010 was a busy year for us over at The House at Fellows - school, work, pregnancy, home and garden rehab, visitors, trips, starting National Board Certification, birth, baby, the Holidays!!  2011??  Bring it!

The past month or so has been a bit crazy in terms of keeping up with this blog - I will have to make it an unofficial New Year's Resolution to stay on top of it at least once a week; so much is happening every day with EB that we have decided you all absolutely HAVE to know ;)  She's pretty awesome, if I haven't said it enough before . . . Speaking of, we had a WONDERFUL first Christmas with her.  My reservoir of Christmas Cheer took a bit of a hit when (as I may have mentioned once or twice and in various media forms, ie email, facebook, phone conversations . . .) we discovered that we seem to have misplaced our small cache of Christmas ornaments.  It was, indeed, made up of only a few ornaments, but it was a modest start that I had made with the intention of adding to the collection each year, each year carefully unwrapping and then re-wrapping every ornament, taking the time to recall whatever seemingly insignificant story went with each . . .

Well I guess I got a bit of a Christmas lesson - after a respectable amount of moping around the house and whining to my mom on the phone, Jesse broke out the Bailey's and hot chocolate and helped me remember what the holiday was supposed to be about - not things (precious though they might be) but people, not physical gifts but the spirit behind them of giving the best of oneself to another.  While I still continue now and again to search for that missing box, I can remember that I am SO LUCKY to have a partner and a daughter and family and friends to share a merry time with, to ring in the new year.  As an added bonus, after misplacing the original ornaments, we got a lovely package in the mail from Jesse's mom, full of his childhood ornaments. Margaret decided that this year was as good as any to pass on Jesse's own collection!  Ironically, we also ended up getting quite a few ornaments as gifts (most were for Eddy and "Baby's First Christmas") - each one we got ended up feeling extra special because it was helping to rebuild our ornament stash :)  So for next year, we will be designating a portion of the attic as our "Christmas Corner" and all things holiday-related will go there, fastidiously labeled and conspicuously wrapped! 





In the end, it meant a lot to be able to cut down the tree ourselves with friends (a tradition in-the-making we hope!), decorate it in our cozy Syracuse home, and dim the lights to the sounds of Willy Nelson's carols and the ice clinking in our holiday beverages.   

2 comments:

m said...

and it was such a lovely holiday read on this post...(but i don't think i've ever heard you whine!).....it's true the holiday is about family and yours is a lovely one....enjoy 2011..happy, healthy and safe! xoxom

renee said...

I think Margaret said it all, but I'll just concur and add it was wonderful to see you at Christmas, hope to see you at least a little bit next weekend. You both certainly inspire the good spirit of the season. May all your holidays be as joyful.