Thursday, October 7, 2010

Baby Paraphenalia

Baby business is an INDUSTRY (just like buying a car and getting married) - soooo many products that you ABSOLUTELY NEED or your baby will die or worse NOT GET INTO A GOOD COLLEGE.  Aside from the not-so-subtle pressure to buy all this stuff you don't need or even like, there's the whole OTHER issue that a bunch of it is actually really really cute.  If I have been successful at all over the years in resisting shopping sprees for myself, I have recently discovered that it is SO MUCH FUN to shop for Edylene.  Kohl's is becoming both my friend and my enemy - I can find cute things for cheap, cheap, but then that means I begin stuffing my shopping bag with more items!  Lest Jesse read this and starting panicking about our Kohl's bill, I promise to only window shop unless she actually NEEDS something . . .  or we get 30% off in the mail . . . or we have Kohl's Cash . . .   oh dear.

The other thing this rant was leading to was to share with you some of my favorite baby paraphenalia I've been scouting out recently.  Our friends Walt and Liz came by for dinner the other night (what else - Dream Dinners - and Liz's apple pie!) and they brought a super cute "clutch toy" from HABA.  HABA uses natural materials and nontoxic dyes and paints for their toys so Edylene (when she can actually "clutch" something) will be able to chew and drool on this mousy to her hearts content.  I'm going to be on the lookout for more HABA toys when they are on sale (keep me posted Liz!) . . .




I've also been excited about decorating Edylene's room a bit more.  We had a nice base color (sea foam? celery? something like that) to start with and now I want to add some pops of color to make it a cheerful place for sleep and play!  I've got a couple projects in the works (more on that hopefully soon!) but I've also been scouring Etsy for some nursery artwork. 

Etsy is an online community where crafty people can showcase and sell their handmade work.  You can find anything from baby clothes, toys, diapers, and furniture to grown-up jewelry, vintage clothing, stationary, and lampshades.  One of my favorite Etsy "shops" to check out is Gingiber - she does lots of pen and ink drawings featuring animals like owls and foxes :) I've been coveting this owl alphabet drawing:
A hoot for each letter!

Eddy and I are having a nice day today.  I've started tracking her naps and feedings to see if we can determine a pattern here and hopefully try and give our days a BIT of predictability.  We'll see how that goes . . .So far we've we've eaten and peed and pooped a few times, been out on a walk around the 'hood (gorgeous out today!), and gotten a "howdy" call from Daddy during a break at school.  Now is nap-time, we'll see how long it lasts! 

2 comments:

Jesse said...

I think you're all caught up now with our adventures... Moving on to more interesting subjects ;-)

Nally said...

indeed that alphabet is a hoot!! hehe love it!