I feel like I'm swimming in a sea of body parts! Gross as that sounds, I've definitely started dreaming in "PT" - which I think is a good thing ? At least it shows that my brain is working subconsciously as well to try and absorb as much as I can - though I've been dreaming about Buffy the Vampire Slayer too . . . hmm . . .
So, these past two weeks? Strikes and gutters, strikes and gutters, my friends :) Within the span of a single morning I can be on top of the world, humming along with a patient eval where I feel confident, proficient, a true PT-in-training! A few minutes later, I feel like a dunce, worse than a novice, slow, etc etc. There is SO much to learn, the brain wheels are turning non-stop trying to differentiate the essential bits from a patient history, a constantly flowing, shifting process of elimination type thing. Now that I'm getting a good idea of what I know that I DON'T know, I (kinda, sorta) wish I could take my first year over again! Ah yes, I should have paid more attention during THAT lecture . . . .
The end of this week will be the halfway mark - can't believe THAT. I've been spending a lot of time in the gym program where more advanced patients do rehab exercises for things like ACL repairs, anterior knee pain, shoulder impingement . . . did more of the foot screening again today as well . . .Today was a bit new in that I also got to spend some time in the 'clinic' seeing what the PT's do for 'post-op' patients. These are patients fresh from surgery the week before (ligament repairs, shoulder surgery, etc) so the tech's/PTA's assess their range of motion, strength, any swelling, how the incision is doing, etc and 'present' the patient to the PT. I got to do a partial eval of a patient actually coming for rehab BEFORE surgery, but next week I'll be spending the day seeing more of what the techs do and how the PT acts while on the receiving end of the post-op information. Again, a lot of winnowing of information to find the really important stuff pertinent to that acute stage. I'm a little nervous to be working with patients who will be so fresh from surgery (think pain, swelling, stitches!) but it will be a good experience - that's my middle name, didn't you know? Caitlin Experience Steeves.
Oi. Love to you all!
Caitlin
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
nothing like the roller coaster of self confidence! I empathize. I think anyone who really cares about what they are learning will have exactly that kind of experience. Its exciting, its scary, its intimidating.
Half way already! Congratulations
Yikes Bikes! Sounds intense but I know you're kicking booty (even if you dont feel that way all the time). Congrats on the half way mark! Just think how much you've learned since arriving 4 weeks ago!
love you!
Sounds like a lot of fun.. or not. Actually, I hope you are having at least somewhat of a good time. The part about constantly having to stretch the brain and the struggle to retain what you have experienced is one that I can empathize with. And oh by the way, I have this pain in my shoulder, you know up around here. What do you think it is and what can I do about it.... LOL
Haha - yes I am having a good time :) I had a good mid-clinical review with my CI this past Friday, so I got to drive home to Syracuse with a smile on my lips and a song in my heart!
Post a Comment