Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Brooklynite Visits the Salt City


Yes folks, that IS a big beautiful jar of freshly homemade garlic scape pesto!!! We've been saving our scapes (baby garlic shoots) from the last 2 drop-offs from the CSA in order to get down and grind up this glorious concoction blending the sturdy green shoots with pistachios, basil, cilantro, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil, and LOTS of parmesan cheese :) We received the original inspiration for it a couple years ago from Renee - and we've been perfecting different versions ever since! (By the way, this stuff is also good for clearing out the sinuses - it is PUNGENT)

We were super happy to host our long-lost Brooklynite roomie (Mr. Johnny-Love) this past weekend. I was still in the midst of my 2-week intensive 'Spine' course at Upstate (my final practical is tomorrow!!) so I was able to give the boys plenty of alone bonding time while I poured over my books and protocols for 'low back pain' (Nals, I promise I'll be able to help you soon!!). Still, I was able to fit in a couple of rounds of Catan (we love that game!!), a few mojitos, and plenty of giggles with Johnny. Tho I left most of the work on the 'Tenant Room' to the boys (they got it sanded, spackled, and primed! More on the Tenant Room later . . . ), I even got to help with the construction project of the weekend, the . . . . . SHELVES!

Jess had been scouring the home and garden magazines and woodworking books that The Aunties brought up, in search of some fun, quick bookshelves we could make ourselves. He found the directions for a system of interlocking pine boxes - ones that could be easily assembled and rearranged at the drop of a hat - NEATO! After gathering a few more tools necessary for the job (oh you know, just some finishing nails . . .materials for some rough saw horses . . .a 12'' compound miter chop saw . . .you know - just stuff you have lying around), Jesse and John set to cutting the wood, sanding it, gluing and nailing it - and I helped! The boys felt very manly and productive and I mostly had fun posing with the shelves after they were made :) We were so happy with the finished product - and it's not even finished yet - we've still got a coat of stain/finish to put on.

Previous to John's arrival, Jess and I had fashioned an impromptu Bean Bag Game (more like a bean-rice-Jesse's socks game) for a hastily thrown-together BBQ with some of my classmates from the DPT program at Upstate. Mostly we had the BBQ to eat the leftover burgers and hotdogs from an earlier picnic/kickball match with the new First Years (yes, I AM a 'Second Year' at this point!) - those first years barely touched all the food we had brought!! Tho now that I think about it, that was probably why they won - we were all too busy stuffing our faces to bust out any decent kickball skills . . .

So the Bean Bag Game was a total success and we've been dragging it out of the garage whenever there is a break in the interminable rain. I at first preferred the 'sling-shot' method but finally had to admit I should probably switch to a more controlled 'lob' as I was often in danger of flinging my sock/beanbag into the neighbors' yards.

A special shout-out to Conrad and Susan - congratulations on your wedding!! Jesse and I were sad we couldn't make it out to Denver, but we heard it was a blast, the ranch was beautiful, Susan's boys were lovely, and the food was overflowing! We can't wait to see you guys again as Mr. and Mrs. :) I hadn't heard about whether or not you were going a-honeymoonin' but I hope you at least have some time off to decompress. Love love love to you both!

Well, I have to wrap this up because as we speak, we actually have a NEW guest with us right now - Miss Nallykins! So, in order to properly record our time spent with her I have to pull this (belated) post to a close . . .

Happy July!

3 comments:

renee said...

Good thing the pictures enlarge. I couldn't tell if Caitlin was holding up a chicken or a babies pajamas!

Congratulations on the shelves!

Nally said...

i can say from personal experience that the garlic scape pesto is finger-lickin' good!
yum-o!
can't wait to see the finished product on the shelves-they will look so good stained!
<3

m said...

hi...i want that receipe!!!!!maybe when we come up in August.!!!can't wait!