Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Syracuse in July (so far . . .)


I can't believe our summer is already pushing towards the end of July - maybe it's because we've been so busy!! Between dinner with the neighbors, weddings, and adventures throughout the greater Syracuse area, we're getting to know our new city and keeping in touch with friends and family back in Jersey and Brooklyn.

First things first (though not chronologically speaking)! Aren't those berries gorgeous? We just got back from some summertime berry picking in Baldwinsville, about 25 minutes from 203 Hawthorne. Henckle's Farm had red raspberries, blackberries, were just about out of their strawberries, and we never did get to the currants (red and black!) and gooseberries across the road. Rows and rows of berries! It was hot, juicy work, but someone had to do it. Jess ate about just as many as he put into his bucket and I think my ratio was even worse. Sun-ripened red raspberries, hiding neath broad leaves - unbelievable. We've decided to freeze a bunch of them because we just couldn't stop picking them and ended up with about 5 lbs of berries!

The beginning of the month was kicked off with a visit to Lew Beach for 4th of July. The gathering was huge - we were glad to bring along D and Beth and Johnny for reinforcements and to have the Stovers to introduce us to everyone, including Greg and Sue. Colonel Mustard (Moose, Mutard, etc), D and Beth's teddy bear of a shitzu (spelling? sorry!), immediately joined the pack of 10+ other dogs there and quickly impressed everyone with his bottomless energy, enthusiasm for balls (bocci, golf, whiffle, and otherwise), and . . . his swimming skills!




Recently we got to see a lot of fam at James and Mary's wedding in Detroit. I don't think I've ever seen so many Casazza's in one place - all clones of each other! We had a great time and danced, danced, danced and got to see our relatives throw their limbs about with great abandon. Even Lois and Earle cut a gi-normous rug during a couple of big band songs. Jess was flagging towards the end of the night but couldn't be shown up by Grammie and Grandpa who were still at the reception at 12:30am! It was one of those genuinely happy occasions and I can't wait to spend more time with Mary - hopefully up at Sebago in Maine! On the wedding front in general, we have 3 more to attend between now and October. We'll be putting the miles on Wally (who, incidentally, admirably braved a near-over-heating fiasco while idling in traffic for 3 hours at the Canadian border - Renee and John, we'll update you with details!).

What else . . . isn't that enough? We'll be celebrating Nally's bday soon (and Dad's for that matter!) and I'll be finishing up with my Gross Anatomy course August 4th. We're kind of winding down now that we've finished up with the bones and muscles and are moving onto internal organs - there are a lot less organs than muscle and bones! I had a real "whoah" moment yesterday when we sawed (yes, sawed) off the ribcage and got a look at the organs of the chest cavity - mostly because of the lungs. I know everything was gushy and red and stuff but I thought the lungs were beautiful and delicate and soft - the softest thing I've ever felt (dont' worry - through rubber gloves). Really, really cool.

Ok! Enough for now! I need to studying for my second-to-last Gross quiz. Love to you all and HappySummer.

2 comments:

Nally said...

i'm super jealous. those berries look delish. i'm proud of both of you--if i was there, i dont think any berries would have made it back to the car 0: )

Margaret said...

I'm super jealous also!! I LOVE black caps, and just looking at that bunch of ripening berries definitely made my mouth water! I love your journal entries, they make me feel like I'm practically in Syracuse with you two! Hooray for adventures, and dancing, and fun pictures, and berries--and I am glad you got to experience the Casazzas in action--we really can be a frightful (and scarily identical) group! Love to you both! :) XOXOX